Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, October 22, 2012

Reading for the rest of the year

The rest of my book goals for the year! (Plus the 13 that are e-books or still on hold. Eek!)


You may recall that at the beginning of the year I set a handful of reading challenges for myself. I had two friends pick a list of books for me to read, and then I committed to reading all of Janssen's favorites from last year. Well it suddenly occurred to me that we're looking at about 10 weeks til the end of the year and I have quite a few books left on those lists!

Here's where I am on the personal challenge-
From Shawna's list:
  • A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson- I own a copy, but have not read it.
  • Ishmael by Daniel Quinn- gonna have to ILL this one
  • The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum- I have read this
  • 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult- I've checked this out several times, but haven't opened it.
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood- I currently have the book and the ebook but am only a couple chapters in.
From Lisa's list:
  • The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
  • Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer- I have read part of this, and it is really really not my style. I'll try again.
  • Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham
  • Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath- I've read this one.
And from Janssen's Top 12 (I'm doing much better on this list!)-
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  • Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt - Read and reviewed, bits of this one keep coming back to me
  • What Alice Forgot by Liana Moriarty- Read for BlogHer
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor- Read and reviewed
  • Falling For Hamlet by Michelle Ray- read and reviewed
  • Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese- read and reviewed (kinda)
  • The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson - downloaded to my Nook
  • Room by Emma Donoghue- this one still scares me
  • Split by Swati Avasthi- read and reviewed, can't stop thinking about this one
  • After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick
  • Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vandenpool
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Ok, so that's only 14 books to finish up, I can do that if I try, right?

Oh, but wait. There's a few books on my Nook from Net Galley. I should read those before they expire too.
  • Just a Wish Away by Barbara Freethy
  • Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
  • Erebos by Ursula Poznanski 
And I promised to write a review for The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman. (I started it, I swear, but the very first page is a stillbirth and I didn't get past that.)
    And I hate to leave a book unfinished over the new year, so I should finish the ones I have half read too.
    • Death Masks by Jim Butcher
    • Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts
    • Married by Mistake by Abby Gaines 
    • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - Finished this up last night

    That's only 22  21 books. I have 10 weeks. That's two books a week. If I up my pace just a tiny bit I should make it, right? Plus, those last four are almost done (if you define almost as "has already started") and half of Janssen's list are young adult (of course, those are the ones I've already read, but who's counting?) (oh, wait, I'm counting.) Still. I can do this. (If I don't do anything else, maybe. Anything else like sew. Or cook. Or clean or eat or breathe.)

    What's that? I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up. Oh. That. Yeah. That one might push me over the edge. And speaking of chunksters, there's this one too. So 23 books total. Once I read them all I"ll have read about twice the number of books I read last year.  I don't see any reason why this won't happen.

    Nah, I got all the time in the world to sit around and read.


    PS. At the time of writing this post I had 21 library books checked out. Books that do not appear anywhere on this list.  I carefully wrote them all down and returned them. Oh, well, except for one or two. And I can't very well not read the two ILL books I just requested last week, I can't renew those.

    If you need me, I'll be over there with my nose in a book.

    7 comments:

    1. There are only 10 weeks left in the year? How'd that happen? This is why I gave up on challenges. Good luck to you!

      ReplyDelete
    2. The only challenge I really do is the Goodreads one where I set how many books I want to read for the year. At this writing, I am 5 books behind. Actually, I am right on target but haven't reviewed those books yet so that is what is holding me up. I think I said 80 books this year.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I've been making and re-making the same types of lists with my quilts the past week or two. It's fun but kind of overwhelming at the same time. Good luck finishing as many books as you can! I read Prince of Tides a couple of years ago, and it's one of the most haunting books I've ever read. It definitely stuck with me. I read it in the summer, so I think about that book every time the first wave of humidity hits.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Well then, thank you. I feel much better about what I've got left to read this year! Good luck.

      ReplyDelete
    5. OK, your list is making my head spin! LOL Good luck with it all!

      ReplyDelete
    6. So many books! I have five for a challenge that I need to read before the end of the year, but they're all classics so I'm freaking out a bit. I completely understand how you feel. Good luck! You can do it!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

      © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP