Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, September 11, 2015

Five on Friday- Slumping


1. Guys, I'm in a terrible weird reading slump.  It's not that I'm reading bad or uninteresting books, but I just don't want to actually read! I've been trying to just go with it, and listen to podcasts and play my crazy addicting phone game ("1010!") and not let it get to me. I'm annoyed that I don't want to read, and yet, I'm just not reading. I'm blaming it on this being a very busy time of year for me, both with back to school, and a giant annually recurring work project.

2. This is particularly bad because my fledgling book club starts again next week and I have not read our book choice- Orphan #8. I haven't even started it.


3. I'm also reading a really fun (and funny) ARC of a book called The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss by Max Wirestone. It's got all the popculture references as well as some gaming talk that makes me all kind of nostalgic. It's endlessly entertaining and I have no fault with the book, but I still don't want to read.

4. So I'm listening to podcast after podcast instead. In the interest of full disclosure, I listened to enough podcasts last Monday ("I can listen to as many as I want so long as I am also cleaning house") that I could have listened to my entire book club book. But I didn't. I completely caught up on Undisclosed, Crime Writers On, Serial Dynasty, Books on the Nightstand, Dear Hank & John and the Readers. I have a big dent into Magic Lessons, and tested out a handful of Science Vs. I still have 465 unplayed podcasts on my phone, no risk of my ever catching up completely.

5. Yesterday, as a last ditch effort, I checked out the ebook of JD Robb's Obsession in Death. Robb always pulls me out of a slump. Now I just have to pick it up and read it....


What tricks do you have to end  slump? Have you ever been in a position where you are reading good books but just didn't want to read?

5 comments:

  1. When my mind is going in a thousand different directions I do find it hard to focus on a book so I know exactly how you feel. I think it will work itself out when things get less busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy. Sometimes, your mind just doesn't go there. I think your podcast listening sounds perfect. And just think to yourself - what will happen if I don't read the book for group? What's the worst thing that will happen? Just sayin'....LOL! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the time. And then there are times when all I want to do is read. And you're right--it's probably the time of year. Plus with the upcoming race. I find that when I'm focused on something else, reading takes a backseat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is when I hit my reading slump last year. I seem to be okay this year. I just picked up the new King book and I am flipping pages like a crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go through this at various times throughout the year, exactly as you describe, where I have some great books I want to read, but I just don't feel in any sort of a reading mood. I usually end up doing a bunch of audiobooks, because audio during these times really seems to work for me. Podcasts probably would, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment! Whenever possible I reply to comments via email, so please leave an email address if you want a direct reply. Anonymous users, I'm sorry, but until you stop leaving spam, you can't comment.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP